Chris “CJ” Johnston, ChFC
Along the way during a long and successful professional career raising money in the investment management world, I found myself at the center of many charitable campaigns for my children’s school, church, alma mater, and other causes. As an always engaged volunteer, I witnessed not only the challenges of raising capital and annual funding but also the importance of proper board alignment and functioning.
Nonprofits – whether they be large national or even international organizations or community based – all have “passion” at their core. I bring to projects an embrace for your mission. I learn it, witness it, and make sure donors and investors feel it, too!
Chris has spent decades raising funds for nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
“CJ” has led teams in national, regional, and local projects raising more than $2 billion for churches, schools, institutions of higher education, investment management firms, and more.
Clients and marketing partners include CEOs, Directors, Boards, Executives, Physicians, Attorneys, CPAs, and Financial Advisors. His experience with high net-worth individuals provides him with an empathetic understanding of their philanthropic motivations.
In both professional and volunteer roles, he formed, trained, and managed operational and fundraising boards.
His career demonstrates collaboration with a variety of constituencies including boards, volunteers, CEOs, professionals, development officers, business owners, and association directors.
He uses discovery techniques via a consultative approach to align his clients’ and the funders’ thought process with their respective needs and interests to achieve the best possible outcomes.
He understands and demonstrates servant leadership and always strives to bring funders into a project through active engagement.
Summary of Experience
- National and regional investment management asset gathering roles focused exclusively on high net worth clients and their trusted advisors.
- Credentialed in insurance and investment management which means that advanced planned giving concepts can come alive in projects.
- Professional and volunteer leader exceeding goals for campaigns in nonprofit, collegiate, and religious bricks and mortar and stewardship campaigns.
- Multiple board chair and committee roles for alma mater, fraternal organization, church, and athletic clubs and leagues.
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU); Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC).
- BA in Economics and Management from DePauw University in Greencastle, IN.