From an early age, philanthropy has been an important part of my life, from saving my quarters for the Sunday School bank at church to volunteering during spring breaks in college with Habitat for Humanity.
A career in philanthropy became of interest after college when I realized some of my favorite causes and area attractions/museums were nonprofits. If you’re going to work for a living, work somewhere exceptional, with a mission you can really rally behind!
As a child, I loved the book The Little Engine That Could. You know, the one with the little train chugging up a large hill saying, “I think I can, I think I can,” and with perseverance and belief in herself, she did. I think that’s what attracts me to nonprofits, especially those that struggle – I love the challenge of helping an organization get through a tough spot and realizing its potential. It’s hard work but the journey is worth it. This is where I know I’m doing my best work.
As a nonprofit leader with over 20 years of strong business, communications, and marketing experience, Kimberly helped raise millions of dollars and substantially increased mission awareness for a diverse collection of nonprofit organizations.
While working with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU), Kimberly conducted Lake Superior College’s first-ever campaign feasibility study. During her tenure, the foundation endowment doubled, and mission and brand awareness increased. Other projects included continuous board development, donor engagement events, securing scholarships, establishing earned equipment incentive programs, finding funding for upgraded program equipment, and improved facilities at four campuses.
Kimberly also understands the challenges for a range of nonprofits. She worked with the March of Dimes and Muscular Dystrophy Association. Small and start-up nonprofits included the Great Lakes Aquarium, Richard I. Bong WWII Heritage Center and Friends of Animals Humane Society.
Kimberly is a goal achiever, team leader and operations generalist. She is a servant leader devoted to lifelong learning, operational management excellence, talent development, creative communication, and integrity.
Summary of Experience
- Graduate of Leadership Duluth, Northern Minnesota’s premier leadership development program facilitated by the Duluth Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of the Public Relations Society of America.
- Board Member for the University of Minnesota Duluth Alumni Association and Lake Superior Fund Raising Executives.
- Alumni of the Year, Alpha Iota Chapter – Gamma Sigma Sigma, National Service Sorority.
- Fund Development Management & Leadership Certification – University of Wisconsin-Superior.
- Peer Coaching Groups Facilitator Certification from Authenticity Consulting.
- Panel speaker at the CASE Conference for Community Colleges, Anaheim, CA
- Business Plan Development & Brand Strategy Consultant – Duluth Pack, Duluth, MN.
- Former Domino’s Pizza franchisee.
- MBA in business administration with nonprofit leadership emphasis from Bethel University.