Project Director Job Description
Convergent Nonprofit Solutions, a fundraising consulting firm serving the national nonprofit market, is looking to add to our growing team of Project Directors. The ideal candidate has experience in fundraising or direct sales or brings specific knowledge/experience of a nonprofit sector. Convergent’s Project Directors work side by side with the top public and private sector leaders in the communities where our clients are based. Experience working with C-suite leaders and managing volunteer engagement is highly beneficial.
Project Directors, as independent contractors, will be responsible for executing Convergent’s Investment Driven Model™ of Capital Campaign Management. This will require both ON-SITE and REMOTE direction of the client and volunteer leadership to ensure project milestones are achieved. At Convergent we don’t train volunteers to ask – we are hands-on fundraisers so we make the ask. A director will be expected to prepare for, execute and follow up on solicitations in order to secure investments in the Client’s defined program of work.
Convergent will provide training and support to ensure effective and accurate execution of Convergent’s proven process and support the Director to ensure Client success. The successful project director is a self-starter, capable of operating effectively in an environment with minimal day to-day direct oversight, and will exhibit great passion for and a deep understanding of the assigned client’s organizational work and goals. Project Directors will work as an extension of the Client organization and are expected to represent both Convergent and our Clients in a manner that is professional at all times in a Client community.
Opportunity Analysis (Feasibility Studies)
During this eight- to 10-week period, the Director is typically on-site three to four weeks in our clients’ communities Monday through Friday, traveling on Monday AM and Friday afternoon. Execution of an
Opportunity Analysis includes:
- Leading in the development of a prospectus document outlining a client’s proposed
scope of work, outcomes it would accomplish, and funding goal required for implementation.
- Assist in creation of a study questionnaire and the test goal for the proposed funding campaign.
- Three or four weeks of interviews, meeting one-on-one with top-level community and business leaders, up to six interviews daily.
- Collection and analysis of interviewee feedback in preparation for final Opportunity Analysis Report and Recommendations
- Navigate complex relationships, adeptly “reading between the lines” during interviews, and work comfortably with C-Suite executives.
- Drafting a detailed Opportunity Analysis Report with support of Convergent’s Operations team.
- Develop, track and report on project expense budget.
Capital Campaigns are fast-paced, highly strategic initiatives. Beginning day one, there are multiple critical workflows that must be initiated to ensure the project can achieve desired milestones. A Project Director is effectively the CEO of a Campaign organization. During this multi-month (typically eight to 12 months) engagement, you could be on-site in our clients’ communities Monday through Friday (traveling home on weekends) for the duration of the fundraising campaign. The Director is provided with all process-related resources necessary by Convergent, but will also be required to work with Client team members and board members. You will be expected to:
- Work with the community’s top leaders to refine implementation strategies and the budget that underwrites them.
- Guide the development of a comprehensive Case for Investment with guidance from Client and Convergent teams, potentially to include drafting all content.
- Enlist and lead a team of top-level community leaders and influencers for critical campaign leadership roles.
- Identify, research, cultivate and solicit potential investors.
- Follow up on all investment solicitations to close pledges.
- Develop, track, and report on a project expense budget.
- Manage a campaign coordinator or assigned client team member in providing administrative support to the campaign.
- Lead in planning and executing top-notch meetings (Campaign Cabinet meetings and a public Campaign Kickoff event)
- Develop and submit regular comprehensive reports to Convergent, Client Staff and Board of Directors.
Critical Skills and Competencies
- High Emotional intelligence and comfort navigating complex and tense conversations
- A highly motivated entrepreneurial spirit
- High executive functioning – comfort leading C-suite and Senior leaders
- Experience navigating a variety of social events
- A presentable and professional image
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous workflows
- Agile problem solving to adapt as needed within a task and process framework to achieve goals
- Comfort traveling and meeting new people
- Intermediate or advanced Word and Excel competency
- Familiarity with basic cloud-based software platforms – G-suite, basic project management, etc.
- Respectful tenacity in pursuit of “closing” a deal
If you feel this is the right position for you, we’d love to hear from you! Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line, “Resume for Consideration – Project Director.” A member of our Operations team will respond at their earliest convenience. No phone inquiries please.