Carlotta Ungaro, CCE, IOM
Senior Project Director
My favorite quote is “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth,” from Muhammad Ali. I have been volunteering ever since I can remember. Growing up in a small town, I accompanied my mother as she volunteered to help with blood drives, walkathons, and bikeathons. We even went door-to-door raising money for various nonprofits. As an adult, I’ve continued this legacy of service by staying engaged with a variety of nonprofit organizations, including Habitat for Humanity, the Red Clay Storytelling Festival, the Providence (Fayetteville, GA) United Methodist Church, and Piedmont Fayette Hospital’s brand-new Women’s Heart Health program.
Carlotta has spent more than 20 years working for nonprofits providing growth and development for its members and their communities. Prior to joining Convergent in 2018, she served three chambers of commerce in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina as CEO. At each, she created and executed a mission-focused strategic plan resulting in membership, retention, and top-level investment increases. She also assisted in strengthening each organization’s role as a leader in community development and business advocacy.
Carlotta led numerous public policy initiatives issues from economic development and infrastructure funding to addressing divisive community issues. In 2017, she led Fayette County’s special purpose local option sales tax (SPLOST) campaign raising funds in six weeks to fund its promotion. The SPLOST passed 2-to-1 where the previous 2 had failed.
Throughout her career, Carlotta has built coalitions of diverse groups to foster community success. For example, she led the 2010 campaign for the relocation of F35 squadrons to the Marine Corps Air Station – Beaufort. (MCAS). At the worst point of the Great Recession, she raised nearly $100,000 to fund the campaign. Her efforts marketing MCAS’s public comment session attracted the highest attendance for public comment seen for a U.S. military installation. Operation F35Beaufort received the Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives top communication award in 2011.
Carlotta’s strengths are building coalitions across diverse groups and creating messages that resonate with target audiences. The result is well-supported, well-funded initiatives. Her enthusiasm and focus will enhance all projects benefiting from her engagement.
Summary of Experience
- Successfully guided the Williamson, Inc. five-year capital campaign, exceeding their goal of $5.5 million.
- President- Fayette, GA, Chamber of Commerce. Increased Chamber’s revenue 30%; doubled the number of Chairman’s Investors. Launched Fayette County’s branding campaign.
- President – Morrisville (NC) Chamber of Commerce. Launched East Meets West Festival, which received the 2017 National League of Cities Cultural Diversity award. Increased non-dues revenue by 63%.
- Content contributor to Forbes Nonprofit Council, Nonprofit Pro and Institute for Organizational Management.
- Georgia Economic Developers Association member, Southern Crescent Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors.
- MBA in Marketing from Georgia State University; BS in Marketing from Georgia Southwestern State University.