I am passionate about empowering nonprofits to accomplish the extraordinary for the communities they serve. Although much of my career has focused on raising money for economic, workforce, and community development organizations (chambers of commerce, EDCs, etc.), I truly love the diversity of our clientele and the interesting variety of projects I get to work on. From public libraries to private schools, from senior assisted living facilities to YMCAs, and even from a puppetry arts group to a ski jump club, I’ve had the chance to help so many great client organizations raise the money they need to fulfill their missions. I love my work!
As a founding Principal of Convergent Nonprofit Solutions, Mark focuses on empowering nonprofits to accomplish more for the communities and constituencies they serve by dramatically increasing their financial resources. He is recognized as one of the leading national experts in funding nonprofit organizations and community initiatives through fundraising campaigns.
Mark has managed and consulted on fundraising campaigns for a broad array of nonprofits, however, the bulk of Mark’s career has been spent securing funding for chambers of commerce and economic development corporations. His experience ranges from working in small, rural communities of a few thousand people to major metro areas, regions, states, and even national projects. Mark’s specialized expertise includes transitioning membership-based organizations into investment-based organizations, forging public/private partnerships, forming and capitalizing new economic development organizations, and establishing regional economic development collaborations.
Summary of Experience
- Directed and provided oversight for more than 80 feasibility studies and fundraising campaigns for organizations nationwide, raising hundreds of millions of dollars for a wide variety of nonprofits.
- Conducted dozens of successful high-profile six, seven, and eight-figure funding requests.
- Managed major feasibility studies and/or capital campaigns with eight-figure goals in large metro markets such as Orlando, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and Seattle.
- Led workshops and participated in panel discussions at more than a dozen statewide, regional, national, and international conferences and events for economic development professionals, chamber executives, and nonprofit leaders.
- Authored two legal reference books, a research paper in an international academic journal, and numerous articles on fundraising and other nonprofit concerns.
- BA in Political Science from Emory University and a law degree from the University of Georgia, School of Law. Member of the bar in both Georgia and Florida.