Tamera Toogood, CFRE
Senior Project Director
After nearly 20 years in the banking industry with a healthy habit of volunteering and serving on various nonprofit boards, I chose to go into fundraising for the nonprofit sector. I joined a large research university in the Southeast with a powerful motivation to raise funding to cure cancer and advance various life-saving medical research. There’s a contagious energy surrounding people determined to make a difference in the world like those brilliant scientists and researchers I had the privilege with whom to work.
That energy, that passion, that determination to make the world a better place is what keeps me fundraising for amazing organizations throughout the country with Convergent. Whether it is an animal rescue group, a child advocacy organization, a domestic violence or homeless shelter or an economic development alliance working to bring new jobs to town – they all are committed to their mission to make the greatest impact and improvement in their corner of the world. Creating that change typically takes funding and finding that funding is what we do, it is what we are passionate about! There is nothing more fulfilling than helping these organizations find the sustainable funding and creating strategic partnerships so that they can be wildly successful making our world a better place!
Tamera is an MBA development professional who has an extensive background in corporate banking and business development having worked with leading financial institutions from New York to Georgia for nearly 20 years. She has a proven track record in providing leadership to originate, strategically grow, and steward Corporate and Foundation relationships for a top medical research university and various nonprofits throughout the east coast. Since joining the development world in 2005, Tamera has raised nearly $200 million for various projects. She holds a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation and is adept in positioning organizations for growth, creating strategic partnerships, cultivating long-term large investors, managing capital campaigns, developing investible outcomes, and strategic planning.
Responsible for a billion dollar affiliate in her last position as Vice President and Director of Sales and Marketing for Wachovia she is especially interested in performance and outcomes within the nonprofit community. Delivering a high level of customer service and client satisfaction is critical to Tamera just as it is to effectively develop, align, and implement strategic marketing and sales plans to achieve or exceed revenue expectations. Her extensive private sector experience makes her an effective communicator of Return on Investment (ROI) and outcomes.
Summary of Experience
- Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations for a major medical research university. Worked with directors of development within five colleges to initiate, cultivate, and steward all corporate and foundation donors.
- Worked to fund a $54 million Cancer Center of Excellence, Georgia’s only School of Dentistry and Medical Commons Campus ($118 million) as well as leading projects for the Children’s Medical Center and Level I trauma center hospital associated with the university.
- Completed recent projects for the High Point (NC), Sanford (NC), and Greater Wilmington (NC) Chambers of Commerce. Worked with First Flight Venture Centers (NC), SafeHomes of Augusta (GA), and Jack and Jill Children’s Center (FL).
- Received the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) award for Outstanding Fundraiser Volunteer of the Year 2008 for fundraising work in the community.
- Volunteer experience includes:
- Leadership Augusta, Executive Board Member.
- United Way of the CSRA, Campaign Cabinet Member.
- Child Enrichment, Inc., Board Member.
- Imperial Theater, Board Member.
- Augusta Urban Ministries, Board Member.
- Humane Society of the CSRA, Advisory Board Member.
- Samaritan’s Purse, Community Relations Team.
- MBA from Brenau University and BS from the University of South Carolina.